· Chen Aisen (CHN) is the reigning Olympic champion from Rio in the men's 10m platform and could become the first reigning Olympic champion to win the world title since Hu Jia (CHN) in 2005.
· Chen won this event at all four World Series meets this season.
· Chen's compatriot Qiu Bo (CHN) won the world title in this event at each of the last three World Championships, but will not compete in this event in Budapest.
· China could become the first country to win four consecutive world titles in the men's 10m platform - the only other country with three successive gold medals is United States (1978-1986, all Greg Louganis (USA)).
· China won only one of the first eight world titles in the men's 10m platform, but have won five of the last eight.
· Yang Jian (CHN) is the other competitor representing China - the last time two Chinese divers reached the podium in this event at the World Championships was 2009 when Qiu Bo finished second place and Zhou Luxin (CHN) third behind 15-year old Thomas Daley (GBR).
· Daley also finished third place in 2015. He could become the fifth diver with three or more medals in this event at the World Championships, after Qui Bo (4), David Boudia (USA, 3), Greg Louganis (3) and Tian Liang (CHN, 3).
· Daley is the only non-Chinese diver to reach the podium in this event in the World Series this season as he finished second in Guangzhou and third on the other three occasions.
· Yang finished second behind Chen at three World Series events this season and came in third in Guangzhou.
· Only divers representing Soviet Union (4, S2-B2) claimed more medals in this event without ever winning the world title than divers representing Germany (3, B3).
· Russian divers occupied fourth place in the men's 10m platform at each of the four World Series events this season, with Aleksandr Bondar (RUS) doing so at the first two in March and Viktor Minibaev (RUS) at the last two in April.
· Minibaev finished fourth place in this event at the World Championships in 2011.
· The last time a Russian diver claimed a medal in this event at the World Championships was in 2007 when Gleb Galperin (RUS) won the world title.
· Coming into these world championships, France has not claimed a single medal in any diving event, something which could be achieved by reigning European champion Benjamin Auffret (FRA) in this event.