· Russia won all previous five editions of team free at the World Championships.
· Aleksandra Patskevich (RUS), Alla Shishkina (RUS) and Angelika Timanina (RUS) were part of Russia's winning team a record four times.
· Spain's Ona Carbonell (ESP), Thaïs Henríquez (ESP) and Alba Cabello (ESP) have also won a record four medals, all have three silver and one bronze medal.
· Spain (3) and China (2) took turns to clinch silver. Spain finished second in 2007, 2009 and 2013. China claimed silver in 2011 and 2015.
· Japan (bronze in 2007 and 2015) and the Ukraine (bronze in 2013) are the only other countries to have ever claimed a medal in team free routine.
· Japan won 11 medals in the team event held from 1973 to 2005, the country of the highest number of medals in this period.
· United States won five gold in the team event from 1973-2005. Since then, US swimmers have not won a medal in team free or team technical.