· Ona Carbonell (ESP) hopes to become the first non-Russian winner of the solo free routine since Virginie Dedieu (FRA) of 2007.
· Carbonell claimed the bronze medal in 2013 and 2015. Gold medallists in these editions Natalia Ishchenko (RUS, 2015) and Svetlana Romashina (RUS, 2013) and their runner-up Huang Xuechen (CHN) will all miss the tournament in Budapest.
· A third medal of any colour for Carbonell will see her coming close to Ishchenko (G3-S1) in the all-time medal table for solo free at the World Championships.
· Russian swimmers have won four out of five solo free events at the World Championships (Ishchenko 3, Romashina 1).
· Svetlana Kolesnichenko (RUS) will try to retain the gold medal for Russia in Budapest.
· Regarding these World Championships, Kolesnichenko has claimed 12 gold medals , fourth most behind Romashina (22), Ishchenko (20) and Anastasia Davydova (14).
· All previous 15 medals in the solo free routine at the World Championships were won by swimmers from Russia, Spain or China, except two. Virginie Dedieu (FRA) won this event for France in 2007 and Beatrice Adelizzi (ITA) took home the bronze for Italy in 2009.